Saturday, July 20, 2013

Charging Lipo Batteries - The Bad & The Ugly

Evening guys,

Just a quick post on charging Lipo Batteries, as I've been somewhat stung.



For the last 18 months I have told people to get one of these chargers. After all, they worked for me didn't they? Why bother getting an expensive one? Well it started reporting a problem with one of my batteries today, so I broke out the multi-meter to give the cell voltages a measure.

Both of these batteries are 7.4V 1450mAh 20C lipos.

Battery one (still works like a beast in my guns):
Total = 10.46V, C1 = 5.46V, C2 = 5.00V

Battery two (dead, completely dead - partially my fault for not charging it whilst it was empty for a long time):
Total = 6.93V, C1 = 1.35V, C2 = 5.58V

So in other words, the reason my batteries seem to be wearing down so quick is that this charger is, quite frankly, shit. It's overcharging my batteries quite disastrously. It would also explain why when I bought my second battery it seemed (despite being identical) to provide a higher rate of fire than my new one - simply because it hadn't been worn down so much it couldn't sustain a high current output.

So that's me back to the drawing board for a charger and batteries. I guess now would be a good time to jump to Li-Fe if I fancied it. Either way, I've still got my glock to plink with!

Dave Out

No comments:

Post a Comment